2nd Measure X Project Breaks Ground in Gonzales

MONTEREY COUNTY – A ground-breaking ceremony for the second Measure X project in Monterey County was held on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 in Gonzales. Thanks to an advancement in funding by the Transportation Agency, the City of Gonzales broke ground on their $5 million “Alta Street Pavement Rehabilitation Project.” The advancement by TAMC gives Gonzales the ability to make repairs now on a street that’s vital to their residential and agri-business needs rather than waiting until enough money is accumulated in their local share of Measure X funds.

Debbie Hale, the Executive Director of TAMC said, “We are pleased that the Transportation Agency was able to advance funds to the City of Gonzales for this much-needed project while their local share of Measure X funds accrues. This is another example of how an infusion of local funding has enabled us to move forward on projects to repair and fix our roads.”

She went on to say that these types of improvements will increase significantly with an additional infusion of $21 million annually to Monterey County from California’s SB1 “fix it first” maintenance funding and noted that “the combination of these two funding sources provides a substantial down payment on the more than $1 billion dollars of unfunded transportation needs in Monterey County.”

Maria Orozco, the Mayor of Gonzales and a member of the TAMC Board, went on to add that, “This project is our city’s number one priority for the use of Measure X funds. It’s the largest capital improvement project in our city in 25 years. I’m pleased that we are able to do this for our residents and businesses.”

The Alta Street Pavement Rehabilitation Project is the second Measure X project to be implemented in Monterey County since the 3/8% sales tax went into effect on April 1, 2017.  It’s anticipated that  Measure X, will generate $20 million dollars annually for 30 years for a total of $600 million dollars. 60% of the money will be used by the cities and the County for local road repair and maintenance. The remaining 40% will be used to fund regional safety and mobility projects.

Anyone interested in learning more about Measure X projects in their communities are encouraged to subscribe to the electronic “Measure X” newsletter by signing up through the Transportation Agency’s website at http://www.tamcmonterey.org/measure-x/.

 

        

 

###

The Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC) is responsible for investing in regional transportation projects for Monterey County residents, businesses and visitors.  The mission of TAMC is to develop and maintain a multimodal transportation system that enhances mobility, safety, access, environment quality and economic activities in Monterey County. For more information visit www.tamcmonterey.org or call 831.775.0903.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MONTEREY COUNTY –The Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC) announced that a ground-breaking ceremony for the second Measure X project in Monterey County will be held at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at the intersection of Alta/Fourth Streets in Gonzales.

 

Thanks to an advancement in funding by the Transportation Agency, the City of Gonzales will break ground on their $5 million “Alta Street Pavement Rehabilitation Project.” The advancement by TAMC gives Gonzales the ability to make repairs now on a street that’s vital to their residential and agri-business needs rather than waiting until enough money is accumulated in their local share of Measure X funds.

 

Debbie Hale, the Executive Director of TAMC said, “We are pleased that the Transportation Agency was able to advance funds to the City of Gonzales for this much-needed project while their local share of Measure X funds accrues. This is another example of how an infusion of local funding has enabled us to move forward on projects to repair and fix our roads.”

 

She went on to say that these types of improvements will increase significantly with an additional infusion of $21 million annually to Monterey County from California’s SB1 “fix it first” maintenance funding and noted that “the combination of these two funding sources provides a substantial down payment on the more than $1 billion dollars of unfunded transportation needs in Monterey County.”

 

Maria Orozco, the Mayor of Gonzales and a member of the TAMC Board, went on to add that, “This project is our city’s number one priority for the use of Measure X funds. It’s the largest capital improvement project in our city in 25 years. I’m pleased that we are able to do this for our residents and businesses.”

 

Speakers at the ground-breaking ceremony will include:

  • Supervisor Simon Salinas, Monterey County 3rd District
  • Mayor Maria Orozo, City of Gonzales
  • Executive Director Debbie Hale, The Transportation Agency for Monterey County

 

The Alta Street Pavement Rehabilitation Project is the second Measure X project to be implemented in Monterey County since the 3/8% sales tax went into effect on April 1, 2017.  It’s anticipated that  Measure X, will generate $20 million dollars annually for 30 years for a total of $600 million dollars. 60% of the money will be used by the cities and the County for local road repair and maintenance. The remaining 40% will be used to fund regional safety and mobility projects.

 

Anyone interested in learning more about Measure X projects in their communities are encouraged to subscribe to the electronic “Measure X” newsletter by signing up through the Transportation Agency’s website at http://www.tamcmonterey.org/measure-x/.

 

2nd

###

The Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC) is responsible for investing in regional transportation projects for Monterey County residents, businesses and visitors.  The mission of TAMC is to develop and maintain a multimodal transportation system that enhances mobility, safety, access, environment quality and economic activities in Monterey County. For more information visit www.tamcmonterey.org or call 831.775.0903.”