Jobs Available: Graphic Design/Public Outreach/ Internship
Agency/Organization: Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC)
Address: 55 B Plaza Circle, Salinas CA 93901 Fax: 831-775-0897
Phone: 831-775-0903 Web site: www.tamcmonterey.org
Type of Organization: Regional Government
Pay Scale: starting at $11.00-$16.48/hr part time
The Transportation Agency is seeking a talented intern to assist staff with supporting our robust public outreach efforts. TAMC uses social media, website, email and in-person presentations to educate and engage the public about transportation issues and how to improve transportation in the future.
Interns with the Transportation Agency gain valuable experience working on a variety of projects that improve lives, such as bringing additional rail service to Salinas, planning for and building safe bicycle and pedestrian projects around the county, reducing traffic congestion, and exploring potential improvements to our state highways. The Transportation Agency is an excellent place to work. It offers flexible work schedules with friendly co-workers and will help you build a strong professional resume.
Interns are provided with training and mentoring as required and will gain experience in a range of activities within the field of public outreach and transportation planning. Potential candidates may come from a range of educational backgrounds, but course work or experience in graphic design is preferred. Examples of other suitable educational backgrounds include: Marketing, Communications, Visual Arts & Media, Transportation Planning and Urban and Regional Planning.
EXAMPLES OF POTENTIAL DUTIES
- Conceptualize, visualize and design marketing materials for agency programs.
- Create promotional or specialty advertising for outreach campaigns (ex//commuter challenge and bike challenge).
- Design logos for projects
- Develop multi-media materials to facilitate public participation in the planning process.
- Participate in public outreach efforts; engage with the public to encourage comments and ideas about how to improve transportation in Monterey County.
- Collect data/coordinate crowd-sourced data for special studies and reports.
- Perform related duties as required.
Knowledge and Ability to:
- Strong knowledge of layout, color, grids, icons, typography, proportion, photography and motion/rich internet media and traditional media.
- Ability to communicate tactfully, persuasively, and effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to listen and provide feedback.
- Works effectively with staff and the public.
- Works within a group structure.
- Ability to problem solve independently.
- Capable of working quickly under tight deadlines while maintaining quality.
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Infographics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Word Press.
- Ability to learn specialized software.
- Excellent attention to detail, strong proofreading skills and ability to edit copy when needed.
- Positive attitude toward colleagues, agency partners and members of the public.
Training and Experience
Candidates’ must be enrolled in a university or college program, or have a Bachelor’s degree. Graphic design, marketing or communications majors are preferred.