MONTEREY COUNTY – The Transportation Agency for Monterey County announced the launch of “My Town: A Pop-up Children’s Museum” in partnership with California State University, Monterey Bay, My Museum, First Five Monterey County, Salinas Public Library and Hijos del Sol Art Productions.
The “My Town: A Pop-up Children’s Museum” through the neighborhood playscape which features a library, store, streets and other elements of vibrant and healthy communities, offers unique opportunities to teach safety skills to young children and engage parents, guardians and other members of the community to think about safe routes to school and learn about local & regional transportation resources. Exhibit materials and educational programs will be provided in both English and Spanish.
Starting Friday, June 7 through Sunday, July 21, children and their accompanying adults will be able to visit the museum for free for story times, art activities and family-friendly play spaces at the Cal State Monterey Bay – Steinbeck Center in Salinas. The hours are Thursdays 10-7, Fridays & Saturdays 10-5 and Sundays 11-5. There will also be some special events on the following dates and times:
- Story times Saturdays at 3:00-3:30 p.m.
- Make & Take Fridays at 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- 1st Fridays on June 7th & July 5th at 10 a.m. – p.m.
- The museum will be closed on July 4th
The Measure X Safe Routes to School Program is aimed at developing better infrastructure for students traveling to and from school, educating children and the surrounding community how to safely walk and bike, and encouraging children to use active transportation that will lead to a healthier lifestyle. The My Town exhibit will help meet the following two goals of the Measure X Safe Routes to School program:
- All children in Monterey County receive pedestrian and bicycle safety education by 5th grade; and
- Parents, guardians, teachers, school staff and surrounding neighborhood community are educated on safe driving, bicycling and walking in support of safe routes to school efforts.