Monterey County Rail Extension Phase 1: Kick Start Project
The Kick Start project is Phase 1 of the overall Monterey County Rail Extension project. The Kick Start Project is focused on improving the existing Salinas train station to accommodate new passenger rail service connecting Salinas to the San Francisco Bay Area, and making track improvements at Gilroy to allow through trains to stop at the Gilroy train station.
The Salinas train station, also known as the Intermodal Transportation Center, is in downtown Salinas on State Route 183 (Market Street), a walkable distance (0.2 miles) to the Monterey Salinas Transit (MST) bus center and the main employment areas of downtown Salinas. Improvements to the Salinas station to be constructed as part of the Kick Start Project include a new direct signalized access point to downtown via the extension of Lincoln Avenue across Market Street, a five-bay bus transfer area, bike lanes and bike lockers, safe pedestrian crossings and sidewalks, and commuter parking. This station will integrate new passenger rail service to the San Francisco Bay Area with existing service by Amtrak intercity trains and buses, MST local buses, and Greyhound intercity buses.
The Kick Start project also includes a train layover facility in Salinas and improvements to the tracks between Salinas and Gilroy.
This project is separated into three construction packages:
1: Salinas Station: Lincoln Avenue Extension, circulation, and parking improvements
- Current Status: Utility Relocation and Construction
- Coming Soon: New signalized access to the train station, new parking & landscaping
- Click here for Status Updates
Status Update – April 3, 2020
In keeping with our promise to keep you informed, the following is an update for the “Kick Start” phase of the project.
At this time, “construction of critical or strategic infrastructure” is exempt from the shelter-in-place order for Monterey County and the stay-at-home order for California, so the Monterey County Rail Extension Project will continue.
The construction crews are working on the following items:
- Striping: W. Market Street between Palmetto and N. Main Street
- New curb and gutter and storm drain work on Palmetto Street
- Paving: Lincoln Avenue Extension between Railroad Avenue and W. Market Street
- Paving: A portion of Railroad Avenue between Palmetto and Lincoln Avenue
- Paving: parking lots on the east and west sides of the project site
- Additional landscaping – planting even more trees and shrubs in the stormwater treatment areas
To install pavement striping and markings, lane closures of W. Market Street will take place 8:00am – 3:30pm the week of April 6 – April 10, 2020.
The plans for lane closures are subject to change due to weather. Other short term closures may happen to accommodate work in progress.
- Click here for Progress PhotosJuly-August 2018
2: Salinas Layover Facility
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations; Right-of-Way Acquisition
- Coming Soon: Final Design
3: Gilroy Station & Track Improvements
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations
- Coming Soon: Final Design
Christina Watson is the Transportation Agency for Monterey County’s rail program planner. If you have any questions, you can reach her at (831) 775-4406, or via email at: christina (at) tamcmonterey.org.