Monterey County Rail Extension Phase 1: Kick Start Project
The Kick Start project is Phase 1 of the overall Monterey County Rail Extension project. The Kick Start Project is focused on improving the existing Salinas train station to accommodate new passenger rail service connecting Salinas to the San Francisco Bay Area, and making track improvements at Gilroy to allow through trains to stop at the Gilroy train station.
The Salinas train station, also known as the Intermodal Transportation Center, is in downtown Salinas on State Route 183 (Market Street), a walkable distance (0.2 miles) to the Monterey Salinas Transit (MST) bus center and the main employment areas of downtown Salinas. Improvements to the Salinas station to be constructed as part of the Kick Start Project include a new direct signalized access point to downtown via the extension of Lincoln Avenue across Market Street, a five-bay bus transfer area, bike lanes and bike lockers, safe pedestrian crossings and sidewalks, and commuter parking. This station will integrate new passenger rail service to the San Francisco Bay Area with existing service by Amtrak intercity trains and buses, MST local buses, and Greyhound intercity buses.
The Kick Start project also includes a train layover facility in Salinas and improvements to the tracks between Salinas and Gilroy.
This project is separated into three construction packages:
1: Salinas Station: Lincoln Avenue Extension, circulation and parking improvements
- Current Status: Utility Relocation and Construction
- Click here for Status Updates
Status Update – January 17, 2020
In keeping with our promise to keep you informed, the following is an update for the “Kick Start” phase of the project.
The construction crews are working on the following items:
- Miscellaneous site grading
- Installation of lateral bracing in “hammer head” portion of bioretention on the east side of the parking lot
- Completion of the installation of CalWater water lines
- Installing underdrains and “bioretention soil mix” in the bioretention areas adjacent to the Lincoln Ave Extension.
- Finishing the deepened curb retaining wall on the west side of the site near the Granary Building
- Parking lot and Lincoln Avenue extension paving will begin within the next few weeks!
There will be one westbound lane (#2 lane) closed on West Market Street, between North Main Street and Palmetto Street, January 20 and 21; between 8 am and 3 pm. These planned closures are subject to change due to weather. Other short term closures may happen to accommodate work in progress.
- Click here for Progress Photos
- Coming Soon: New signalized access to the train station, new parking & landscaping
2: Salinas Layover Facility
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations; Right-of-Way Acquisition
- Coming Soon: Final Design
3: Gilroy Station & Track Improvements
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations
- Coming Soon: Final Design
Christina Watson is the Transportation Agency for Monterey County’s rail program planner. If you have any questions, you can reach her at (831) 775-4406, or via email at: christina (at) tamcmonterey.org.