Monterey County Rail Extension Phase 1: Kick Start Project
The Kick Start project is Phase 1 of the overall Monterey County Rail Extension project. The Kick Start Project is focused on improving the existing Salinas train station to accommodate new passenger rail service connecting Salinas to the San Francisco Bay Area, and making track improvements at Gilroy to allow through trains to stop at the Gilroy train station.
The Salinas train station, also known as the Intermodal Transportation Center, is in downtown Salinas on State Route 183 (Market Street), a walkable distance (0.2 miles) to the Monterey Salinas Transit (MST) bus center and the main employment areas of downtown Salinas. Improvements to the Salinas station to be constructed as part of the Kick Start Project include a new direct signalized access point to downtown via the extension of Lincoln Avenue across Market Street, a five-bay bus transfer area, bike lanes and bike lockers, safe pedestrian crossings and sidewalks, and commuter parking. This station will integrate new passenger rail service to the San Francisco Bay Area with existing service by Amtrak intercity trains and buses, MST local buses, and Greyhound intercity buses.
The Kick Start project also includes a train layover facility in Salinas and improvements to the tracks between Salinas and Gilroy.
This project is separated into three construction packages:
1: Salinas Station: Lincoln Avenue Extension, circulation, and parking improvements
- Current Status: Utility Relocation and Construction
- Coming Soon: New signalized access to the train station, new parking & landscaping
- Click here for Status Updates
Status Update – May 29, 2020
In keeping with our promise to keep you informed, the following is an update for the “Kick Start” phase of the project.
Stage 1 paving is complete and construction crews are working on the following items as we finish Stage 1 and begin Stage 2:
- Temporary pavement marking will be used on the Lincoln Avenue extension in advance of permanent striping.
- The Lincoln Avenue extension will be open for public traffic to access and exit parking. Buses will continue using Palmetto Street to Railroad Avenue for passenger drop off and pick up near the Rail Station.
(Please view the Plan Sheet for Stage 1 and 2 and the Vehicle and Pedestrian Traffic Plan for Stage 2 for visual detail.)
- Stage 2 demolition on Railroad Avenue is anticipated to begin the week of June 8, 2020.
There are no planned lane closures at this time for the week of June 1 – 5, 2020. The plans for lane closures are subject to change due to weather. Other short term closures may happen to accommodate work in progress.
- Click here for Progress Photos
2: Salinas Layover Facility
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations; Right-of-Way Acquisition
- Coming Soon: Final Design
3: Gilroy Station & Track Improvements
- Current Status: 75% Design, pending railroad negotiations
- Coming Soon: Final Design
Christina Watson is the Transportation Agency for Monterey County’s rail program planner. If you have any questions, you can reach her at (831) 775-4406, or via email at: christina (at) tamcmonterey.org.