Public Recognizes the Need to Invest in Transportation

Voters in Monterey County continue to recognize the need for investment in transportation improvements and appear willing tax themselves to do it according to survey conducted by EMC Research earlier this month. Four-in-five voters (79%) say there is at least some need for additional funding for Monterey County’s transportation network, with 44% saying there is a great need.

Support for a sales tax dedicated to local transportation needs has been consistently around the two-thirds needed for passage. Polling today has support at 66% yes and 26% no; an additional 4% lean yes and 1% lean no, consistent with polls from 2013, 2014, and 2015.

The Transportation Safety & Investment Plan, developed by the Agency with community stakeholders is a balanced plan that is equitable and meets the demand of fixing potholes and improving safety with an unprecedented 60% of the money going back to local jurisdictions and the remaining 40% for regional safety and mobility projects.

If approved by voters in November, the 3/8% transportation sales tax measure would raise approximately $20 million a year totaling $600 million over a 30 year period.  This funding would make a significant dent in the over $1 billion in unmet road repair needs and the over $1 billion in regional road safety and mobility project needs.

A summary of the survey conducted by EMC Research can be downloaded here: