RELEASE DATE: Wednesday, April 24, 2019
CONTACT: Theresa Wright
“TAMC ENGINEER WINS NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION AWARD”
MONTEREY COUNTY – Rich Deal, Principle Engineer of the Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC) has been selected as the American Public Works Exceptional Performance Safety Award” winner. This national award honors individuals from any public agency, consulting firm, or construction company for their contributions to the local public works community.
Mr. Deal was recognized for the following achievements:
- Was the leading force behind the delivery of the award-winning and highly-successful Holman Highway 68 Roundabout, which opened to the public in 2018;
- Is a leader in the national and local traffic engineering community who advises other city and county public works departments on the latest traffic safety and complete street designs;
- Receives public praise from numerous sources, and in fact was nominated by the South of Salinas Traffic Safety Alliance for his work with this community group on solutions for the US 101 South of Salinas corridor safety concerns;
- Has an uncanny ability to translate technical engineering concepts into information that the public can understand, with a sense of humor and disarms even those who oppose; and
- Uses that same uncanny ability in media interviews and public presentations in a manner that conveys the importance of transportation issues and projects.
Prior to joining the Transportation Agency in October of 2017, Mr. Deal worked for the City of Monterey and served as their Traffic Engineer for 23 years.
Mr. Deal will receive his award at APWA’s Annual Awards Recognition Ceremony in Seattle on Monday, September 9, 2019. Earlier this year, he was recognized by the local Monterey Bay Chapter of APWA as the chapter’s “Person of the Year” at their annual awards ceremony in January.
For more information about TAMC, click onto www.tamcmonterey.org.
“The Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC) is responsible for investing in regional transportation projects for Monterey County residents, businesses and visitors. The mission of TAMC is to develop and maintain a multimodal transportation system that enhances mobility, safety, access, environment quality and economic activities in Monterey County. For more information visit www.tamcmonterey.org or call 831.775.0903.”